I have a few upcoming trips on the horizon, another of which is Peru in late August. The Inca Trail and Machu Picchu has been on my bucket list for a while and I’m excited to finally go on this trek. However, the highlight of this trip for me and Mr. Chuckles will probably be our stay in the Amazon jungle. Mr. Chuckles will definitely get lots of opportunity to hone his ‘animal identification’ skills. 😋
- Day 1: Arrival in Cusco. Chill day to acclimatize and go on an afternoon walking tour in town.
- Day 2: Explore Cusco and nearby Inca ruins on our own.
- Day 3: Guided full day tour of Sacred Valley. Overnight in Ollantaytambo.
- Day 4-5: Two day short Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu. We weren’t particularly keen on doing the full four day trek, so opted for a fun and easier alternative with SAM Travel Peru which involves a train ride to km 104 of the Inca Trail, followed by a day hike to Machu Picchu and overnight in Aguas Calientes.
- Day 6: Arrival in Iquitos to start our Amazon jungle trip.
- Day 7-11: Stay at Tahuayo Lodge and Amazon Research Center Lodge run by Amazonia Expeditions.
- Day 12: Day to explore Lima. We’re hoping to end off our trip with some food indulgence, as we usually do on our travels, with a meal at Michelin star Central, one of the world’s top ranked restaurants.
Header image: Source