No worries, all is well between me and Mr. Chuckles! In fact, our relationship is probably much enhanced after he baked us this delicious and delectable carrot cake, inspired by a popular post on Reddit. Last month, a Reddit author shared their mother’s recipe for this carrot cake that earned its title when their father sheepishly asked for it on his birthday, despite the fact that he and his ex-wife had been divorced for over 20 years.
Adapted from Reddit.
Servings: One 9-inch cake | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup oil
- ½ to ¾ cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups carrots, grated (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup coconut, shredded
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ to 1 cup raisins
Cream cheese frosting
- 2 (8-ounce) packages softened cream cheese, cut into cubes
- ½ cup softened butter, cut into cubes
- 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Lemon juice, to taste
Prepare the carrot cake.
1) Preheat oven to 350 F.
2) Grease and flour two cake pans.
3) Combine flour, cinnamon and baking soda in a medium bowl.
4) Combine oil, honey, eggs and drained pineapple in a large bowl.
5) Mix dry ingredients, plus carrots, coconut, walnuts and raisins together into the wet ingredients until well-combined.
6) Pour into cake pans and bake for 45 minutes.
Prepare the cream cheese frosting.
7) In a bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 1 minute.
8) Add vanilla, then slowly incorporate powdered sugar. Scrape down the sides of the bowl frequently to prevent lumps.
9) Once smooth, taste and adjust as needed with lemon juice.
Assemble the cake.
10) Once the cakes have cooled, remove from pans. Frost the entire cake as one layer, spreading evenly on the tops and sides with a spatula. Chill for 30 to 60 minutes and allow to set. Slice into portions when ready to serve.
👨🍳 Notes from Mr. Chuckles
This recipe produces two 9-inch cakes that you can assemble into a double layer, but we opted stick with just the one for ease of assembly.
The pineapples, coconut, and raisins add some extra texture and give the cake a tropical twist. Yum!
We’ve posted another recipe for traditional style carrot cake that you can check out here.